Sunday 1 March 2009

The Circle

Friendships are often hard to come by. There is so much lies and deciet in the world. I keep my friends close at hand, like a hand of top trumps. And no, I don't use them against each other in some elaborate game or battle.

To me, my friends are my life. There was once a time, when I was a university student, when I near enough felt lost, alone and heart broken after the people whom I thought were my close friends turned against me and betrayed me. They only liked me for a laugh and were out for their own ends. Selfish, single minded and attension seeking bullies. Not all of them. Just a few. It was a dark part of my life where I thought I could trust no one, and the girl that I loved had well and truly removed part of my soul.

But after moving from university, I started to talk to some people who were interested in the same things as myself. We had quite a lot in common and we became the greatest of friends. Two of these began with Tony Coburn and Thomas Rees Kaye from youtube. They'd inspired me. And pretty soon, Matthew Chambers followed into the fold to be joined by Hannah Wollaston and many many others.

These are people who I have been there for. I often listen to people's troubles - I'm an agony uncle of sorts - but that's not to say I'm complaining about it. I enjoy being there for people who need me, so long as they can take on board the advice I give them.

Those who have returned the favour to me have become part of a very close bond of friendships - something I call the circle. The circle is a group of my top friends. Friends I talk to most. Friends who are willing to listen to my problems and give me help and advice and love and friendship in return for the same I give them. If there was no circle, I would not be.

Some people have asked me to make a vid saying who IS in the circle, but I refused because some people are not in it. They'd feel upset because of this. One person who found that out threw a massive depressed wobbly about it and demanded to know why they werent in the circle. And the reason is because they concentrated so much on being depressed all the time that the hours and hours I spent shouting advice and friendship at them went to waste because they never took it on board or listened. I hate manic depressants. They never listen.

The circle is made of people who DO listen, who DO take on board each others advice and friendship. We all hold each other together as one body, one soul. And the wonderful thing is there are no walls to the circle because it just keeps on getting bigger and bigger as more and more friends become part of it.


Long may it expand, for the more friends we have, the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment